< Browse more articles

Two initiatives have been announced by the Federal government, which are connected to the carbon price. One program, which will help small companies and organizations, has rolled out in the four provinces where the federal carbon pricing program is applied (Manitoba, New Brunswick, Ontario, and Saskatchewan). Another will support consumers in Ontario who make energy efficiency and clean energy choices.

Both are funded out of the 10% hold-back on carbon price revenue, which is retained for these purposes by the government (the other 90% is rebated to citizens in affected provinces through tax credits geared to income).

ENERGY MANAGER PROGRAM

A new Energy Manager Program makes available $3.1 million to small businesses, municipalities, institutions and not-for-profit organizations to hire energy managers and undergo energy assessments for buildings, industrial facilities and fleets, to identify areas where efficiencies can be made. These specifically include heating and cooling systems, creating a marketing opportunity for HRAI members.

The program includes guidelines for energy managers as they initiate organizational energy audits, adopt energy monitoring software, implement the ISO 50001 Energy Management Systems Standard, create energy efficiency awareness within the company, and benchmark the results of efforts and improvements.

For more information visit here.

25% OFF ENERGY STAR PRODUCTS IN ONTARIO

Minister of Environment and Climate Change, Catherine McKenna, also recently launched the federal Energy Savings Rebate Program to make energy-efficient products more accessible to people and businesses in Ontario.

The new program will provide about $200 million over two years to participating retailers to help Ontario residents purchase energy-efficient products. Examples include ENERGY STAR certified air conditioners, ductless mini splits, dehumidifiers, thermostats, tankless condensing water heaters, CEE Tier 3 certified refrigerators and/or refrigerator freezers, washers, dryers and more.

HRAI has asked that retailer communications include recommendations that consumers acquire installation assistance from qualified technicians for some of the items mentioned.

Larger retailers, with locations in five or more municipalities in Ontario have until July 24, 2019, to submit proposals and apply for funding. Smaller retailers with locations in at least one and no more than four municipalities in Ontario have until next year, March 31, 2020. In both cases rebates will be available immediately following approval. Information on this program can be found here.

The announcement also reiterated an earlier program launch that provided $500 million through the Low Carbon Economy Challenge. This provides funding to all provinces and territories, municipalities, Indigenous communities and organizations, businesses, and not-for-profit organizations. Information can be found here.

For more information, contact Martin Luymes at 1-800-267-2231 ext. 235, or email.